The Blackboard Jungle

days spent beating back the seeds of doubt

Monday, May 17, 2004

Returning to a cramped empty classroom after absence, I find the traditional pile of dog eared paper, and the following on my whiteboard:

"As I passed the Kwik E Mart, I knew in my heart there was no link between Ray Brower's death and Denny's accident, however desperately I wanted to have a reason for my tears. Just as surely as I knew that Denny's death had knocked me right out of my family - as swiftly and violently as that train had knocked Ray Brower out of his Keds."
This one taken from the cover materials of the lesson I had set.

"crib, yard - home, house (US)
gaff - cockney for house
wha' gwan? - what's happening? (Jamaican)
boyed - embarrassed
pickney - child (Jamaican)
sick - can be crazy, or good
allow it - let it go
dope - good
cuss - insult
ill - good
safe - hello
bare - lots"

But I'm boyed that this one seems like a bare good lesson. I'd have loved to hear the discussion that put this ill vocabulary on the 'educational objectives' board. Allow it.