The Blackboard Jungle

days spent beating back the seeds of doubt

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Are you married. Miss?

No, Chezney, I'm not.

Why not, Miss? Do you have children?

No, Chezney, I don't.

Why not?

Well, partly because I don't like children.

[Tommy recoils in shock]

Whaaat? How can you not like children? You mean you don't like us?

That's not what I said, Tommy. You guys are teenagers, you have some personality, a bit of individuality to you, I can hold a conversation with you because you've got brains and gumption and some original ideas. You're not children, you're young adults.
The ones I don't like are the little children. I wouldn't work in a primary school, because I can't stand the cute ones.


Can't stand the cute ones?! [He shakes his head in disbelief] The cute ones. [Utter disbelief] I mean!