The Blackboard Jungle

days spent beating back the seeds of doubt

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Oh my word!!! What have I done? This is a mistake. Everyone is 10 years younger than me and has just finished a maths degree - I by contrast have killed most of my brain cells during the past 15 years of hard working (well, OK, so you work hard you play hard - it kills the cells!) and have forgotten anything I ever knew about maths.

The men and women are all nubile young gods and goddesses, bright eyed and shiney haired with new cars (how IS that, they have never worked and they have a new Clio and I have a beaten up old Golf...do I detect good degrees and the beneficence of Daddy and is it too late to tap my own parents?).

I am not so worried about the classroom management side as the technical. The younger ones seems bit more afraid of facing the children - I am afraid, but basically think they can't be MUCH worse than a pile of miltant railway workers...can they? By contrast, I am petrified by my lack of knowledge. Today we had to start an "audit" which will help us identify our subject weaknesses...anyone who has worked knows that an audit is a TEST and that you can FAIL. Most of the subjects I can't even remember to be able to say whether I know them or not - they all sound new! Maths is meant to be an ancient subject, beloved of the Greek et al., so how can they have invented new topics in the past 15 years!!